Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Euthyphro

Read the whole text
Text available at http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/euthyfro.html
Journals due on Feb. 3
Instructions for posting your journals:
click the link "comments" below, paste your journal into the blank field. You must register an blogger ID at the first time. Please use your real name as the display name.
If you want to change anything, simply post the new entry and notify me. I will delete the old one.
If there is any question, please do not hesitate to ask me (tangxyang@gmail.com)

24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time experiencing philosophical literature. Although the language was quite sophisticated at times, I believe that I was able to aptly grasp the concepts portrayed in the dialogue between Socrates and Euthyphro. I generally identified with the Euthyphro’s viewpoints, and I saw validity in Socrates’ inquiries, although at times the repetitiveness of his comments seemed unnecessary and would lead me away from processing the idea. I agree there must be more to piety and impiety than what is dear to the gods, because it is clear that at times one thing which is dear to one god may not seem that way to another. I think that within this passage, Socrates is more insightful than Euthyphro because he would thoroughly seek a fuller understanding in Euthphro’s logic before accepting it. It was during these debates that I would get confused and bored, but I do value the importance of fully understanding the perception of another before adopting it as one’s own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree with Euthyphro moral philosophy that whoever committed a crime must not go unpunished regardless of who the accused is. Euthyphro believed in justice even if it means going against his family to do what is right and piety. He was determined to seek justice for the dead poor field labourer who was unjustly murdered, even if the muderer lives under the same roof with him and eats at the same table which I consider couragous.
    I believe that if people in the society generally would recognize the fact that everybody deserves justice and no body is above the law. This is where I see validity in Euthyphro's argument. He says " prosecuting any one who is guilty of murder, sacrilege, or of any similar crime-whether he be your father or mother, or whoever he or she may be makes no difference".
    Though Socrates disagree with Euthyphro definition of what is piety and impiety. I know that it is not always easy to do what is piety more especially when it involves people close to you. Sometimes doing what is right requires a lot of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read Euthyphro, the dilemma between Socrates and Euthyphro was that what was piety and impiety. When Socrates asked Euthyphro what was the meaning of piety and impiety, I felt like Euthyphro was circling his question. Euthyphro said that piety is doing what he is doing by prosecuting anyone who is guilty of any crime even if it is against family, and impiety is not prosecuting. The dilemma continues from there. I found it difficult understanding the dialogues between Socrates and Euthyphro but I understand the concept. After reading I understand why Socrates wanted to know what exactly piety and impiety was, because he wanted to understand if what god says is good is it really good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that Euthyphro has a strong belief in piety. Euthyphro goes against his own father even thought his father "murdered" a murderer. When Euthyphro's father killed the murderer I felt that was somewhat just, but his strong believe of what is right or not made him testify against this own father. Euthyphro believes what he is doing will please the Gods. Socrates starts to question whether the gods approve of what he did was just or unjust. According to Socrates all Gods think differently and Euthyphro agrees. Socrates is wise, since all Gods think differently what makes Euthyphro believe he is right? Clearly he couldn't answer the question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I didnt like understand the language in which euthyphro and Socrates communicated. I believed that it should have been broken down more, needless to say it was a very interesting conversation. It is funny how euthyphro seemed to be ontop of the conversation, he seemed so correct when he was trying to describe pious and impious until Socartes questions piety in terms of the gods. He compairs what Euthyphro was doing to his father to wat Zeus did to Cronos and wat Cronos did uranus. I concur with louie Euuthyphro couldn't answer the question. Euthyphro was so wraped in right is right wrong is wrong he didnt stop to think wat makes right right and what makes wrong wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an interesting reading. More than half of the dialogue is a dilemma between the two men about what is piety versus impiety. Why was it so difficult for Euthyphro to explain the meaning of both terms to Socrates? He did say what it was but then he quickly changed his mind. He charged his father with murder based on his understanding of what piety and impiety is; then, at least, he could have explained both terms without giving a million interpretations. Yet, he chose to completely refrain of saying its meaning, leading me to believe that Euthyphro was charging his father with murder not because of his religious outlook, but because of some inner hatred for his father or the like. Charging ones parent, whether it is his mother or father, seems very puzzling to me. If Euthyphro believes that he is such a pious man who fears the Gods, then don’t his Gods demand of him honoring of parents?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reading was diferent and difficult to understand. I understand the concept but at times i would get lost. The main idea which is piety and impiety. Euthyphro and Socrates had many debates between each other thoughtout the story. Euthyphro father murderered a murder and believes he should be punished for his actions. Euthyphro believes that the gods would do the same by punishing people for their wrong doings no matter if it's family. Socrates kept questioning Euthyphro what is piety and impiety, and if all the gods would think the same as him. Socrates says that all the gods think different and Euthyphro. Socrates disagrees with Euthyphro's meaning of piety and impiety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Euthyphro

    In the dialogue between Euth and Plato, I agree with Euth strong beleif that a person should be punished for their crime regardless of being a loved one or not.. Although it is a difficult position to find yourself in when condeming a loved one, it is unfair to alow them to go free for a criminal act, such as murder. The text was a bit confusing due to the language, but when i read it again i was able to have a better understanding of what they were trying to explain and understand the concept of their dialogue. I find myself having to read over the text a few times in order to have a clear understanding of the story before i can make a final assumption of what they are discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the dialogue Euthyphro by Benjamin Jowett, Socrates is being prosecuted by a guy names Meletus. Meletus is supposing prosecuting Socrates because he has a different way of viewing God and Meletus does not agree with Socrates teach other people about who God really is. Both Socrates and Euthyphro have different types of court cases. For example, Socrate is being prosecuted and Euthyphro is prosecuting is own father. Euth has to go against is father because he has committed murder and according to Euth the Gods do not approve of his father's actions. I do agree with teh statement Euth approaches because a murder should not be left out in the streets no matter whom the person is. On the other hand i also believe with what Socrates says because no one should take the life of another person upon their own hands. It is God's duty to decide whether or not that person should be punish or let the person live and dealt with life. I think that Euthyphro is more religiuos than Socrates in the sense that he beliefs in every single story said about all the goddess. According to Euth, he believes that Socrates only knows how to thats one aspect of a situation and turn it all around. I surely believe that the way Socrates is trying to take information out of Euth is very strategious. According to what i read, Socrates has used physcological terminologies in order to understand Euth's point of view on all the Gods. According to Socrates, Euthyphro was nto able to help him with his court case, but he has show him that no matter what Euthyphro has some type of religious knowledge and he should let others reach upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the reading, Euthyphro clearly guides Socrates through the meaning of piety and impiety. Piety is described as doing what is just in all cases and impiety is deemed unjust because it is something that the Gods don't consider as righteous and dear to them. I was amused by the way Euthyphro related himself to the story of Zeus and his father. I believe it was a strong and effective comparison between the two. It showed that his act against his father should be known as pious rather than impious if the people had also accepted Zeus's offense to his father. There were parts of the dialogue where there is constant questioning from Socrates. He has somewhat made it difficult for me to understand the concepts relating to piety. His choice of words and the way he directed them were poetic. I'm very weak with poetry and so it has been hard to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since this was my first time reading any type of philosophy literature it was very difficult for me to understand what was going on right away. Throughout the dialogue Euthyphro and Socrates were discussing piety and impiety. If I had to choose who I would more likely agree with I would have to choose Euthyphro. I agree with Euthyphro because I think that anyone who has committed a crime should be punished, despite the fact that the individual might be part of your family. Euthyphro believed that the field laborer, whom was murdered by Euthyphro’s father, should get some kind of justice, although it may mean that he will never see his father again. Euthyphro believes in seeking punishment for his father due to the face that he believes that the Gods would punish people if they commit crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This first story was interesting. I like how Euthyphro define piety and impiety to Socrates. Euthyphro is a man who knows himself very well, he believes in justice and being fair above any situation .If someone committed a crime and his or her reasons are not fair or done on a justice circumstance, than he or she should receive the justly slain of going to jail. In Euthyphro case regardless that the criminal being his own father. I find his action fair because Euthyphro show that the characteristic of a religious man, is in believing in god and always being fair even if it prosecuting his own father. Euthyphro stayed honest and put the laws before his personal life relationship, and through out the story explain this to Socrates on his commitment of staying true to the court laws, and reflecting this with his meaning of piety and impiety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apology by Plato

    This is the explanation and interpretation of the trial of Socrates, where he tried to explain his belief and wisdom toward society. He defended himself against an allegation that not believing in city and state god. I agree with Socrates idea of defending his belief and explain who he is and where he stands in the society knowing that there will be bad consequences. In our society there are many people who have different idea or belief about something, it is normal long as they have wisdom and can prove why they belief it. I strongly disagree with court ruling finding Socrates guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems some of those commenting seem to be on the side of Euthyphro's. they feel that Euthyphro's act of “pursuing” his father shows strength and a commendable resolve to do what is right. However, let's not forget as to what he's accusing his own father of. First, the man that he claimed was “murdered” by his father, was a laborer who, in a “fit of drunk passion slew another laborer”. Let me reiterate, this worker killed another man, with the influence of alcohol... In response to this act, his father bound him, while he sent for a messenger to ask for the correct form of punishment. Although he did not tend to him, he had no intentions of killing the man. Can this really be considered as murder? And what of the poor laborer who was killed by the drunken worker? Where is his justice? And lastly, let's take into perspective, Euthyphro himself. He seems to be rather intelligent, which means that he had to have some sort of education. We can conclude from this, that his father couldn't have been such a terrible person to him correct? So, can anyone agree that it just isn't right for Euthyphro to not to be on the defending side, to someone who has taken care of him?

    So now, let me ask. How many people still think Euth as right? Or how many see him as wrong for doing what he did? In the end, my intentions for writing all this up wasn't to say Euth was wrong, but to show Socrates' point in persistent questioning. What Socrates was trying to tell Euth was that although he sees what he is doing as right, it's NOT necessarily right to everyone else. I believe the point of this text, is to tell the reader that when it comes to right and wrong, there will never be one side that is completely right, and one side that is completely wrong. Because each and every person has a different perspective, a different point of view. Thats is why we have such controversial topics right now, that still has no definite answer, such as Capital Punishment or Abortion.

    It's interesting how a text written so long ago, can still be applied to issues of today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my first tim etaking philosophical ethics. It was a bit strange reading the language they used. I picked up what the passage was about though. I agree with Euthyphro and how if someone is accused they should go through trial. No matter who it it they must face judgement or go through the process of trial and jury. If you are goin gto be right you have to be right in everything one says and does. There is no half steppin git or being on both sides. As Socrates was explaining though everyone has there own opinion and beliefs. It will be impossible for everyone to believe the same thing and think the same way.

    - Jennifer Bordes

    ReplyDelete
  18. In this philosological reading i must say that euthyphro seems to know what is meant by peity and impeity, but socrates seems more into the depths of the full meaning as to what is really peity and impeity. socarates goes into the full meaning by asking euthyphro what would the gods see from all this. and he goes to show how unjust and just behaviors can relate to what peity and impeity is, also he he compares euthyphro situation to how the gods before them like(zeus) who view they way of living. as far as this goes i have to say that socrates gave a good explaining to how far impious and pious behavior is and try seeing if euthyphro agrees wit him on his terms, which i think was good for him to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hammad Syed

    This is my first time taking Philosophy course, so I had a great difficulty reading this kind of text. I got very confused while I was reading this text. This text is a conversation that took place between Socrates and Euthyphro at the outside of the court of Athens. A charge against Socrates is brought by young man named Meletus who accused him of corrupting the youth. Euthyphro was in the court to prosecute his own father for unintentionally killing a man. Socrates thought Euthyphro was great expert in religious matters because he was going against his own family and what is accepted by the most people at that time. So Socrates thought he is expert in religious matters and started questioning him, about it. Socrates thought it might help him in his trial. Euthyphro tells him that persecuting against offenders no matter who they are is holiness. Socrates wasn’t satisfied with his explanations and questions him more about it. Euthyphro then tells him that what is approved by god is holly and Socrates still wasn’t convinced and questions him further on it. Euthyphro then tells him that looking after god is holiness. Socrates then argues that gods don’t need any body to take care of them. Euthyphro then argues that holiness is to sacrifices in exchange for gods to grant our prayers. Socrates argues that they don’t need our sacrifices because they don’t help them in any way. All of this questioning frustrated Euthyhphro and he leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my opinion, this is just a never ending discussion between Socrates and Euthyphro. Throughout the whole passage they were just circling around the same topic but could never come to one answer. Euthyphro is supposed to be the person with all of these answer but yet he could never make Socrates understand his point about just and unjust. In my opinion, aether Euthyphro does not have any answers to all of the questions or he does but it is to complicated for Socrates or any one of us to understand? It looks like these might be another question gone unanswered. Wat it basically comes down to is that Euthyphro knows what is just and unjust but how he got to that conclusion is a mystery. The reason i say that is because he is going through a lot of pressure with the prosecuting of his father and he knows deep down that he is write and so does everyone else but to come up with an answer of how to explain what is write and what is wrong is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading this dialogue between Socrates and Euthyphro. In my opinion Euthyphro who is persecuting his father for murder is a strong believer in piety. He believes that everyone that show impiety should be punish for whatsoever they do. And Socrates being guilty of impiety is hoping that Euthyphro can help him to understand what the difference between piety and impiety so that he can defend himself of the charges brought before him by Metelus. I could be wrong hopefully I can get a better understanding of this dialogue when we discuss it in class.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Euthyphyro was an interesting read. At first I had a hard time understanding what was going on but that changed. Euthyphro seemed to dominate the conversation due to his knowledge. I found it interesting that Euthyphro held the belief of piety so high that he would prosecute his own father. I do believe that no one is above the law or rules but I would not have been the one to prosecute a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  23. After reading a text about Euthyphyro I found this article quiet interesting although it was a long text.He speaks with Socrates about the case of him and his father.Euthyphyro believes in piety.No matter who is it.Even if its his own father.A servant died in the hands of his father and he turned his father in for murder.But not everybody agreed with what he did.They felt that he shouldnt have turned his father in.But honestly I think what he sis was right.Laws are made to be followed by everybody.If somebody commit a crime they should pay for it even if it was an accident.Accidents do happen but some accidents could be avoided to.And everybody should be held responsible for their actions.The fact that the person who committed the crime was a family member shouldnt be an acception.They gotta step up to their responsibility.

    ReplyDelete