Sunday, March 1, 2009

Confucius: The Analects

Read Confucius: The Analects (Part 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 11)
Text available at http://classics.mit.edu/Confucius/analects.mb.txt,
journals due on Mar 5

24 comments:

  1. I feel that Confucius, like Socrates, consider moral, social, and ethical situations in their theories. Both Socrates and Confucius seem worldly and offer ideas of how people are and how they could become better people by studying themselves and their surroundings. I get this by reading works of Socrates and Confucius and seeing that, when engaged in discussions concerning theories and philosophies, they both consider the topics at hand, first based on one situation with one kind of people, and then again with another kind of people, and if the idea remains consistent in both situations, it is able to be adopted as a universal concept. Often, this only exists until a flaw in the concept is found by a participant in the discussion. Confucius starts explaining in part one that rules should be virtuous and that people should always set examples for living virtuously. Confucius, like Plato and Artistotle, express great importance in living a life of benevolence. I do my best to write these journals, but I am very intimidated by the thought of having to write an entire paper on these philosophers and their concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the analects discussions were very difficult to understand. In part 2, the master said if the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame and if they be led by virtue and uniformity sought to be led given them by the rules of propriety, they have the sense of shame and moreover will be good which I disagreed with. I agreed with Confucius when he said that when you advance the upright and set aside the crooked, then the people will submit. And also when you advance the crooked and set aside the upright, then the people will not submit which most people would identify in their life. Most people tend to submit to what is just and upright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece was different and harder to understand then the other readings. Many philosophers were involved in the discussion as well as Confucius. Many ideas and points were made throughout the story. Confucius says that a youth should be filial, respect parents, elders. He should be truthful and have love to all. Then after doing this then he should employ them polite studies. Tsze-hsia says that if man withdraws his mind from the love of beauty and applies it as sincerely to the love of virtuous, he will exert strength. Confucius says if people are led by virtue, given by the rules of propriety, they will feel shame and will become good. Filial piety means being disobedient. Superior man is who is catholic, he acts before he speaks and afterward speaks to his actions. Their are main concepts that i don't see that applies to action and theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this reading i find that Confucius strectch the importance of moral character in determining the goodness of a persons actions. The main principles of Confucianism are li and ren (jen). Confucius asserted that by living according to these principles, one lives in the way of a supreme man, or a true gentleman, referred to as Chun-Tzu. The aspect surrounding these principles are personal and governmental morality, correctness of social relationships. Also Confucius believed that every normal human being cherishes the aspiration to become a superior human being superior to one's fellows, if possible, but surely superior to one's own past and present self. This does not mean attaining a perfect state of the self but instead a state of always striving to go beyond present state. The ideal state is primarily something to be accomplished, not something that can be realized once and for all. Confucius rarely spoke of perfect virtue and even said "those who know virtue are few." Further, he said
    "The practice of right living is deemed the highest, the practice of any other art lower. Complete virtue takes first place; the doing of anything else whatsoever is subordinate". In which i believe can be true in most cases. But also can be viewed differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The analects by Confucius parts 1,2,4,7,9 and 11, all parts say “ the master said” I can not understand who is this master, but all that he say sounded interesting except when he in the part 1 he mention the word filial I don’t understand what he mean? But I agree on this quote by the master in part 2 “yu, shall I teach you that what knowledge is? When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it;-this is knowledge.” Because knowing knowledge it not just repeating what someone else just taught you, it beyond examples, it hard to explain what is the true meaning but allowing other to know that something is not understood is knowledge too as “the master” mention. However, I found confusing in part 4 when the master said. “Riches and honors are what men desire. If they cannot be obtained in the proper way, they should not be held. Property and meanness are what men dislike. If they cannot be avoided in the proper way, they should not be avoided.” I wonder if he implies that sometime evil is good and not always harmful for to reach something in life that might be difficult to do.The other parts they were ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the reading “The Analects”, written by Confucius, the word “master” was used a lot. Even though Confucius made a big deal out of saying “master” throughout the reading he failed to clarify who this “master” actually is. While reading Confucius’s readings I noticed that he had many things in common with Socrates. Throughout their readings they both focused on moral and ethical outcomes. As one can see Confucius would tell individuals how they would be able to become better people in life. Confucius believed that one can be a better person if they would simply just study themselves and their society. I can agree with what Confucius is trying to say because if one sees an individual doing nothing with their life they would want to be better so in the long run they would not end up in that same situation. In another part of this reading Confucius said that it is right for one to respect their elders. I do believe with what Confucius is saying in this part. I think that an individual should respect his/her elders’ even though they may not be related to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The analects by Confucius
    It is about living your life proper ways by practicing various virtue and self cultivation so that the other might become a moral example for society. Confucius believed that every normal human being cherishes the aspiration to become a superior human being. He said no one born with wisdom but you must gain it. He also said the practice of ritual is the best way to express human kindness. I agree with his idea, when we born we are innocent and pure but as we grow up we lean to practice and socialize with in our society in various form, and it depend on you culture, religion. We learn and follow from others and become example for others. Confucius also emphasized literacy, study, and learning to develop the practice of moral wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the Analects Confucius emphasized on being good. He gives examples of what is goodness and what is not. Confucius love learning and he tells everybody that most important is to keep learning. He mentions that nobody matches his love for learning. He thinks all the good qualities are not worth it if one is not knowledge. He also believes that filial is very important. He believe that being filial is not just taking care of your parents and giving them food but also respect them and also to follow their wishes. He stress respecting your older so much that he says we should cover them and protect them if they do something wrong or illegal and I don’t agree with that. I believe we should respect our elders but when they do something wrong we need to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the Analects by Confucius the main topic being focused is virtue. Tsang said he examines himself in faith, sincere, and instructions from a professor. The master believes that the youth should be respectful, truthful, earnest, express love, etc. There was an interesting statement in part I of the story, “I will not be afflicted at men’s not knowing me; I will be afflicted that I do not know men.”Mang asked what filial piety was and the master answered “not being disobedient,” but all of a sudden when other people asked him he always responded with different meanings. In one part the mastered had said that filial piety has something to do with propriety. Another interesting statement within the text was in part 2, “if a man keeps cherishing his old knowledge, so as continually to be acquiring new, he may be a teacher of others.” My opinion is that this reading has been the easiest to understand and probably because it was a short reading but yet everyone has their own opinion; therefore, we might had understand the concept of the story differently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reading was a little hard to understand even though there were lots of ideas how people can deal better with their situations. Depending on situations, Confucius like many other philosophers tries to make people understand the knowledge of certain topics. Confucius explains how you have to live with certain morals in order to bring the best from people with a strong ego becoming better. He said " There may be those who act without knowing why " and he call the thinking and gathering information before acting second part of knowledge. What makes a men superior is not the knowledge above them and appearing to be so, but helping them realize by the gift of knowledge each has.And this relates to the strong statement he makes " I am fortunate!If I have any errors, people are sure to know them." It's a little contradiction with what people try to achieve with being superior" To go beyond is as wrong as to fall short."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another useless reading because I can hardly understand whats going on but It seems to be another discussion of virtues. In this book virtues are learned from observing others and practicing it yourself. The most important virtue seems to be being a humane person or loving/respectful to all. A person has been sucessful at being humane when they evaluate the things they have done such as Tsangs "in transacting business for others, I may have been not faithful;-whether,
    in intercourse with friends, I may have been not sincere;-whether
    I may have not mastered and practiced the instructions of my teacher." An inhumane person wouldn't even bother thinking about others. What really caught my attention was "Have no friends not equal to yourself." I think it's important to have friends that you can relate to and are held to the same standard as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was definitely the hardest reading so far. There were many different people who contributed their thoughts and ideas during this discussion. I think that Confucius was trying to say that people should aspire to perform positive traits. This is confirmed when Confucius says “advance the upright and set aside the crooked, then the people will submit. Advance the crooked and set aside the upright, then the people will not submit.” Confucius is saying that only the moral people will succeed in life and if the unmoral people are allowed to prosper, then society will eventually fall. He brings another example by saying that “I do not know how a man without truthfulness is to get on.” Again, Confucius is trying to show that people who are not truthful, who are thus unmoral, should be set aside, meaning that it will be difficult for them to move on with life if they are not truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Analects by Confucius was slightly more difficult to understand than previous text. The master believes that a man is filial(respect for their parents) when a mans father pasts away. Three years later if he still remains like his father, then he is filial. I know Asian's always respect their elders, but I don't believe its always right to follow your parents footsteps. In part 2 The Master said, "In the Book of Poetry are three hundred pieces, but the design of them all may be embraced in one sentence 'Having no depraved thoughts.'" This statement is true especially with Socrates writings, he writes about to things basically saying the same thing. Instead of write all those thing to confuse us they should just put it in one easy to understand statement. The master made some good points, he said "If the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame. But if the person is led by virtue, they will eventually become good. The master tells us obeying and supporting our elders is filial piety. In part 4, the master talks about the "superior man". The superior man only wants the best(virtue) and nothing less. In part 7, the master tells us that he never repeats himself. He only teaches to those who are seeking to learn. The master never hides anything, what you see is what you get. There were four things which the Master taught,-letters, ethics, devotion of soul, and truthfulness. In part 9, the master tells us that the youth needs to be treated with respect because we don't know who they will grow up to be. By the time they are 40 or 50 and they grow up to be no one then they don't need to be respected. The master also said that you should only have friends equal to you. I didn't really get anything out of part 11. All i got was that the master felt that the heavens was destroying him by letting his friend Yen Yuan die.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Analects by Confucius, I found book I similar to Socrates Euthyphro because they master and his disciples they were discussing about propriety and filial piety and they compared towards how we treat our parent’s in book II the master replied that we should treat our parents according to propriety, they should be buried according to propriety. Propriety means respect and that we should respect our parents. But later on one of the disciples question what was filial piety and the master said that is supporting our parents. Then they talked about government and virtue how a truly virtuous man can both love and hate others. Then I read about a superior man and that doesn’t set his mind on anything he will do what he feel is right. I only wrote what I understood from the reading, but this reading was difficult that I read it a few times to grasp the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading Confucius, it reminded me of the readings of Socrates. In this reading of Confucius he analyzes what everyones ideas and beliefs are on morals, social topics, and life itself. I agree with his definition on filial ( respect for parents ). this also includes if the parent is alive or dead. It is never good to speak bad of the dead. Regardless if the parent is dead or alive they deserve to be respected. I was confused when I read this saying, "To see what id right and not to do it is want of courage." I guess this means that someone saw something needed to be done or changed but they didnt act on it. Even if they did not act on it they saw what needed to be done and just them noticing it and wanting to change it, they have the desire to be courageous. Much was said in these reading of Confucius.

    - Jennifer Bordes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let me first start off by saying the reading was challenging, it made me think for a second unlike the rest of the reading that went clearly over my head. on one of the more important quotes i read was the quote that said "Fine words and an insinuating appearance are seldom associated with true virtue", this stands out to me because in this day an age you see alot of people associate someones appearance and how they talk for virtue. To be honest i didnt care for the reading but the examples kept my attention. it was odd that "master" as he is called in the reading was giving chi lu the run around when chi asked abt serving the spirts of death i didnt understand that part though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finish reading " The Analect" by Confucius.His book had alot of dialogue between a master and friends.He spoke alot of virtue and filial(respect for your parent).I didn't really get all of the text but some parts got my attention.For example he said a statement that said "learning without thought is labor lost;thought without learning is perilous".I agree with this statement.IN order to learn something you should be able to think and analaze it otherwise it's pointless.In the United STates it is said that alot of students lack critical thinking.THe reason for this is because they always teach stdents to memorize things.THe students only memorize the notes for their test but once the test is over so is the information.THeir not learning because their not really thinking for themselve just memorizing.Other countries on the other hand students have to think because they don't always have the resources to see materials and understand it.They just have to read and undertand their notes for exams.Another statement he said that caught my attention said " have no friends not equal to yourself" I really agree with this statement.IT's good to have friends you can relate to and share the same morals and values as you.IF not it could lead to many contraceries and dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To me, Confucius seems similar to a priest. He preaches what is known as virtueous and does not even depise the unworthy. He simply avoids and disregard them. He discussed a little about how the younger should always respect their parents (filial piety)and elders. He believe they should be concern with them at first hand and don't disrespect them. If they want to disagree on something, they are allowed but do it in a nice manner. If the elders and parents still don't comply with the youth, they should stop and not utter anything else. It sounds as if Confucius is trying to imply that the parents are always right even if they're wrong and the sons should just accept it. It's kind of unfair even if they're older. There was a quote I didn't fully understand, "If the son for three years does not alter from the way of his father, he may be called filial." So if the son does not change into something like the father, he may be fit to be called a son? I'm confused. Confusius is constantly enlightening his disciples. He doesn't teach those who does not want to learn and teaches those who seeks the truth. It's surprising that Confusius doesn't consider himself as a sage. He has alot of wisdom and knowledge, but yet describes himself as "....simply just a man." He wants his disciples to pass along the positive knowledge they have and keep an open mind. "I will not be afflicted at men's not knowing me;
    I will be afflicted that I do not know men.", spoken like a true philosopher. He's not worried if people don't know him. He's concerned that he won't know and understand men. Unknown to him but the whold world does recognize him by now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Analect features an author whose style is rather different from the other writings we've read thus far.

    One of the main differences I see, is that Confucius has alot of meaningful quotes and one liners that relay parts of his main message.

    Whereas Socrates, provides a certain situation in which we, the readers, can analyze, and apply to our own life, Confucius provides a ton of thoughtful quotes, that you just can't help but remembers. I believe this is why there a ton of Confucius quotes that people memorized, and restate when they have the chance.

    One of the concepts that we've gone over before in Socrates writings was virtue. In this text, Confucius is asked what "Perfect Virtue" is, in which he responds..

    "Gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness. If you are grave,
    you will not be treated with disrespect. If you are generous, you will win all. If you are sincere, people will repose trust in you. If you are earnest, you will accomplish much. If you are kind, this will enable you to employ the services of others."

    When compared to Socrates' "Five Wisdoms", I feel that Confucius makes it clearer in his saying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In this reading Conficius:The Analects, the discussion between the master and his disciples focused on being good. The discussion targets many areas of life such as politics, respect: how a person conduct themselves at home and abroad, obedience , love. It also targets the family especially the respect a person should have for their parents. This is as much as I can gather from this reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The analects by confuciouse are defineely more difficult to understand than the readings we have already have alt6hough it has more interesting points. . the analects focus on how we should live life a certain way and be good people morally.part of a good life is obeying the theories of life and undertstanding that respect and obedient is a key focus on life. confucious beleives that the way people go against what is morally right they are failing to themselves. he uises the example of one who learns his notes for his exam but doesn't go through the process of really learning the material so that it can be a learning expereine for them, instead its a way of getting by through life. the whole expereince is a waste to the mind in itself and to the thought of being good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This text was hard to understand, but I think that I understand little stuff from the text. This text was really all about moral values and also to be the super human being possible. I could relate to this text because I try my best everyday to be a better person and do the right things in life. In life the hardest thing to do is to do the right thing and for some reason it’s easier to do the wrong thing. It feels good when you go to sleep at night and think about the good things you did during the day. I hope the next text will be more readable and more understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some part of the story is very unexplainable. The master and teachers are giving different point of virtue. The part was based on their opinion on what is right or wrong when taking an action. There were several philosophers involved in this part of the book. They went back and forth on their thoughts of virtue. Some believe that been a child and honoring your parent is filial. That we should try to understanding one another rather than not care. The master also said it is virtuous manners which constitute the excellence of a neighborhood. Mean it is what good we do that help us out in our life. A man is of no good to the society if is good is for itself. The purpose is to do well and be wealthy. There would be no happiness if we don’t practice virtue. The book also explains that every thing we do or take part in, we should be most careful and make sure that everything we do as a purpose for good. Later explains that he who lives with virtue would have neighbors and would pursuit more to life than happiness. To be virtue, you have to be more of holy, doing good at all time, doing thing not for your own good but for others. Having the idea to help the next person who is of need. The master narrated more about human being doing good at all times, not just for the aim or profit but for happiness, and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tang, Xiaoyang has no ethics,
    thats what i understand from his posting.

    ReplyDelete