Monday, March 9, 2009

Hume: A Treatise of Human Nature

Read: Book III, Part I, §§1-2
Text available at http://www.class.uidaho.edu/mickelsen/ToC/hume%20treatise%20ToC.htm
Journals due on March 12.

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Near the begining of the text, Hume discusses about perception. We see and do things with our perception of what's good and bad, right and wrong. Without different perceptions, we cannot be aware of the events around us. In a sense, I agree. Everyone has their own insight on things and are open to different opinions. Through our perception, we can go about our lives and base it on our insights. It also helps us judge the many situations we forego in our life time. As for perception, there are two kinds, impressions and ideas. Then there seems to be an issue of whether or not people can judge morals on reason alone or principles we take in. Since guidelines or rules are revolved around morals, it would be meaningless if people do not take influence in it. Beacause morals affect the things we implement and influences our daily lives, we can't judge morals on reason. Hume had stated that morals help influence people in going through life doing things they are passionate for and helps them understand whats' morally wrong so they can avoid them. As for reasoning, there is no such influence. I don't know if I would agree to that if I had not read this text. I would of thought reasoning can determine what's right and wrong. We reason all the time. We live life everyday reasoning the things we need to do. Whose to say we don't? But learning from this reading, it says that reasoning is inactive. Reasoning is not deciding what's valid or not but a truth to and agreement of and idea. I've never thought of it that way and am surprised to learn something from this reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In section 1, Hume writes about perception on how we think. According to Hume morality is a subject that interests us above all others. There is a quote where he tells us "wherein the greatest part of men seem agreed to convert reading into an amusement, and to reject every thing that requires any considerable degree of attention to be comprehended." He is saying that men has become lazy, they only read for pleasure but not for knowledge. I have to disagree, I only read for knowledge and I don't know how people could read for pleasure. Hume tells us that morality is from passion and not reasoning. I agree with this, your reasoning might make you do something bad to better yourself but harm others. But with passion it's what you believe is right or wrong. In section 2 he talks about right, wrong, pleasure and pain. He talks about, how pleasure for one person might be pain for another person, everyone is different. Hume also talks about natural and unnatural. Some people see nature as a religious miracle. As for unnatural Hume tells us "perhaps virtue will be found to be the most unnatural." I could see why he said that since virtue and morality is something we humans made up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly agree with Hume’s argument that perceptions affect all actions of seeing, hearing, judging, loving, hating and thinking. Most people can identify with this argument one way or the other in their life. Sometimes the way people perceive things affects their actions and behavior. For instance, the way an individual perceive somebody on the street or anywhere affect the way an individual would react though he or she hasn’t seen or meet the person before. And when someone has either good or bad impression about something or someone, it always manifest in his or her action without the person being conscious of it. Hume also argued that reason is perfectly inert, and can never either prevent or produce any action or affection which I disagreed because I believed that reason can affect our actions. Most times, people have different kinds of reasons they engaged in things either good or evil which affect their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the book, A Treatise of Human Nature, written by David Hume, perception was mainly discussed throughout Book III. Although one may not know it but perception is used throughout the day in our everyday life. One uses their perception to judge other people and what they actually think about their surroundings. Each individual has their own unique perception, this is so because we all have different opinions and we don’t always agree on the same things. According to Hume there are two different types of perceptions and they are ideas and impressions. I think that perception can be both a positive and negative thing. Perception can be viewed as negative because one may judge another individual based on their appearances. Appearances does not tell viewers how someone behaves, if they are smart, or if they are kind to others. Your perception on an individual may lead you to believe that one is a bad person while they maybe the nicest person you will ever meet. In section II of Book III, Hume begins to discuss what is right/wrong and pain/pleasure. In this section I agreed with what Hume was saying when he stated that everyone does not share the same pleasure or pain. Pleasure to one individual can actually be pain to another individual. An example of this can be when someone is killed by the hands of another individual. The person who committed the murder will be the one who views it has something pleasurable but the victims family will be the one suffering from the pain that they have just lost a love one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the A Treatise of Human Nature, Hume talks about perception and there are two kinds of perception and they are ideas and impression. Everyone has their own perception of everything and not everyone shares the same perception. Every day when we meet someone new we have a perception of that person it could be good or bad, and perception could sometimes blind us because our perception could be a good or a bad thing. Then In Book II, Hume talks about how reasons influence our actions, because we might see fine something pleasurable but for others it is not, and the consequences can turn out badly. This reading was not so hard to understand and it was engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Section One Hume, speaks about perception. Their are two kinds of perception ideas and impressions. Everyone uses this everyday without this we can't make judgments or have our own opinions. We have impressions on people or things that are important and it could either be good or bad. Everyone is different and they judge people on their impressions, and we don't always agree on everything that's what makes us different. The way we perceive people and things affects our actions and behaviors. We might have an impression on someone but we really don't know them, we judge not knowing the truth. Impressions aren't always truthful and causes us to act differently. In Section2, he speaks about right, wrong, pleasure, and pain. He says that one persons pleasure might be another's pain and vice versa. Virtue is pleasure and vice is pain. We as individuals see things different from one another and have differences in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Hume as well as the student who noted that perception takes place in all of our actions. I agree that perception is formulated by ideas and impressions, but I do not think that they are independent enough from one another to ask whether it is idea or impression that enables us to determine right from wrong. Can we have ideas without impressions (or vice versa)? The first time I went over this text, I had trouble seeing what Erica (and Hume) had explained, that reason alone does not influence our actions. My argument was that we base all of our actions on reason, but after going over the text I thought that Hume may have made his argument based on the idea that all reasoning is influenced by morals, and therefore it is morality that influences out actions and not reasoning alone. Maybe I am still off target, but I thought I'd take a stab at it. I still don't understand why actions can't be reasonable. Do we go about life acting without reason? I think it's quite the opposite. I'm trying to understand the passage about the child killing their parent or the tree killing its parent, but every time I get to the end of the thought, I'm unable to extract anything from it. Morality is not an object of reason; essentially, reason is an object of morality. In the last passage of part I, it is clear to me that you cannot judge an action as vice or virtue based on reason until you have involved your own feeling or perception. In the instance of a murder, all you can say without involving your feelings would be "he killed him". This does not deem the action vice or virtue until you add your own judgment, in which case you are able to say "it is wrong that he killed him". This supports the idea that it is only by "means of some impression or sentiment... that we are able to mark the difference betwixt them" (Hume)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In part one section one Hume focuses on the concept of perception. Hume mentions two types of perception: impressions and ideas. Examples of perception in the mind are loving, hating, judging, thinking,etc...Philosophy is divided into two parts; speculative and practical. It was also said that men are often governed by their duties.There was a paragraph that was repeated twice was there a point to the repetition? The words immorality, morality, falshood were mentioned throughout the story meaning that they had to be important aspects of the theme. Reasoning is emphasis within the text. There was an interesting quote, it says, "For the same reason, a thief, who steals in by a ladder at a window...is in no respect criminal". I found this quote interesting because i never thought of that situation in such a way that a robber can't be considered a criminal. Hume and the student emphasis the concept betwixt moral good and evil. I am not sure if i understood a part of a paragraph, but for my understanding it was said, since animals and human beings are some how alike animals have the right to obtain the concept of morality. Virtue can be the feeling of satisfaction from contemplation. At the end of the sections, it was said that even though it was evaluated in detail it came to a conclusion that virtue will be distinguished by pleasure, vice by the pain, action, character view, and contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hume argument was that perceptions affect all actions that we do. He divided all perception into ideas and impressions. He argued that simple impression come from simple idea and that general idea are nothing but particular ideas attached to a certain word. I think a perception is unique and it part of our everyday lives. Thinking, creating, judging, sense, it all part of our everyday perceptions and all can be different ones. I think your perception can be good or bad; sometimes it can give you an idea that will lead you to accomplish your goal, other time it is the opposite. Every day when we learn something new we have the perception of that knowledge it might be positive or negative and perception could sometimes take us to wrong path if we do not make the right decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In this passage Hume discuss the topic of perception. I really found it difficult to understand the reading but i will elaborate on a few things. People have different perceptions of one another. The way one may see something in their eyes another person may see it differently. For instance, if I see someone stealing I will say that person is a thief and is greedy. The person commiting the act will think otherwise. The person who steals see themself as one in a situation with desperate measures to fulfill the need at the moment. If I were to do something that might seem untolerable in someone elses eye, I will think the opposite of what the person thinks and views.

    - Jennifer Bordes

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading hume's book 3 part 2 I must say it was rather interesting .He spoke alot about perception and judgements.People always use their perception to judge people and that's not always good,but it's just something that's people can't help but do. Even when a person is going to a job interview the person always have to be concerned about making a good impression.FIrst impression means alot to people.If you make a good impression then people will remember that and when you make a bad one then people will remember that's and sometimes judge you by it.Hume also spoke about people judging other people then they are of themselves.I a person was to speed in the street people would be quick to complain and stuff ,but if it's the person themselve they would always have a reason for their action.Morals is part of our lives and it's something thad people should get to understand more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading this book. The way Hume analyzed every detail of the mind is fascinating. Hume says that “nothing is ever present to the mind but its perceptions.” I agree with this. The mind is like a vacuum that absorbs everything. According to Hume, absorption occurs through seeing, hearing, feeling, etc. Hume tries to differentiate between vice and virtue. Eventually, Hume states that vice and virtue are not discoverable by reason alone or that they are a comparison of ideas. Rather, he argues that such moral distinctions are impressions. Hume says that “to have the sense of virtue is nothing but to feel a satisfaction of a particular kind from the contemplation of a character.” Here Hume recognizes the impression of virtue to be that of pleasure. Later, Hume reveals that vice is pain. Hume also argues that since morals influence our actions and emotions they cannot be derived from reason. I think that Hume is trying to tell us that there is no clear definition of morality because it is not based on reason but rather on people’s actions and emotions. I agree with him on this argument. Morality is not clearly defined and is largely influenced by our perception of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that many would agree with me when I say that Hume's text was easier to understand than others. It was more modernized, and had a definite concept.

    Hume brings up many aspects of perception, such as Vice and Virtue, and how reason plays a rather miniscule part in our actions and morales. The concept of perception is similar to that of morality, as it is something that us as humans can't help but have. Much like the concept of morality, and our habit to view things as right or wrong, perception ties in with impression, and with it, comes a habit of judging others, and having a view unique to that inidividual.

    This ties in what alot of what we've been reading on, in terms of morality. Perception, or how we see things, grealy influence the way we think, and the way we see a situation in its sense of right and wrong. And in turn, it affects our actions, and emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Humes readings concentrates a lot on perception and how we see things. Humes explains we have two different forms of perception, their is idea and their is impression. Perception is a part of human thinking. Everything we see or do is viewed with a perception< which is what creates are idea of it and opinion. when we see someone acting a certain way we build a perspective sometimes almost a story in are mind of how that person is and why they act that way. In all actuality we can be completely wrong< but we don't know that, we only guarantee we know what we think of. in many cases creating a negative perspective of a person or thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The section of the huma, mostly talked about human behaviors and how we think and observe things around our society. He said human mind resolve in two parts which are impressions and ideas. He, points out that, human beings have emotions, passions, sensations and are mentally involved in doing force to get to their destination. The mind is a powerful force for the human mind. Our thoughts and believes play a major roll in our life. Explains that human beings ideas are basically from thinking and reasoning. That we human being cannot control our emotions and impressions; we need to think before we take action. That human life is built on emotion, fear, feelings, thinking, and reasoning. We need be more concern about how we do things and to learn about thinking more before impressions get us into the mix of complex. Then our emotion and fear leads us into bad doing, where force would be put to use, then, how can we then judge ourselves. Our good and bad doing are from our mind and reasoning, than we humans need learn to think positive, that the mind is our thoughts and ideas. We should be less judgmental to life, we should make use our brain and pass the good idea to our society. Every action we take most have a good impact to human life and not just for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Through out all these reading the way of thinking through reasoning using our human knowledge and skills has been very important in all our readings and class discussion. In the reading “A treatise of human nature” by Hume, The concept of reasoning is corroborated and a present system of philosophy has said by Hume to have a concern and an understanding of what is reasoning and passion. As the mind and the body are connected the approvable of the mind can never exert itself in any action. Therefore, the rise question, with which our present enquiry concerning morals always makes every human being different and think of using our morals to help us, chose right choices from wrong to be good human beings and to try to do good things in life. Not forgetting that it hard to always distinguish if our morals lead us to take the right choices, in decision making. I agree how Hume states that human mind conclude that our reason are not rules of morality but “moral excite passions, and produce or prevent actions”. Therefore, “actions are laudable or blameable, but they cannot be reasonable” because reason has no such influence on our natural propensities.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete